[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.2.5

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Aug 24 12:01:25 UTC 2004

Hi all!

I've just released version 0.2.5. As usual, it's not quite polished, but I
think it to be a big step forward in RKWard-development and good enough to
release to the public. On the visible side, these are the most important
changes:
 - you can now use/edit several objects in the R-workspace. You can create and
open additional tables
 - a simple object-browser provides a list of the objects in the R-workspace,
along with some of their attributes
 - a simple object-viewer allows you to inspect such objects, even if they are
not (yet) editable in RKWard
Internally, the most significant change is that there is now an internal
representation of the R-workspace and the hierarchy of objects inside. Check
out the files in the "core"-subdirectory to get an idea of what that
representation looks like and how it gets synced to/from the R-workspace
(well, so far, they are not really documented).
Another change is that RKWard-meta data for the objects (esp. the labels) is
now stored as an attribute of those objects (fairly obvious solution, but
somehow I did not think of it earlier). This means that it is possible to
access the labels (and other meta-information to come) from inside the
R-backend. Hence calls like "<?php getLabel ("x") ?>" are obsolete (they're
still being used in the plugins in this release, though), and can be replaced
with plain R-code.
Well, please check out the new release, if you can find the time.
@David: If you're interested in starting on improving the API-documentation,
that means the phase of heavy changes is over for now. But if you do, please
let me know, which area/subdirectory you're starting on. I think I'm going to
do some documenting myself during the next few day, and I would like to avoid
collisions, here.