[RkWard-devel] RKWard development docs online

David Sibai lordofthemoose at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 23 00:01:44 UTC 2004

Hi!

> > I have already written a plugin-oriented statistical application (quite
> > close to yours actually, but more Splus-like) in python, and in my
> > experience, it's very usable.
note: I meant python was usable not my program!

> Interesting. What is it based on (if anything), what does it look like? Can
> I find it on the web somewhere?
no, it was a school project, and it is nowhere near finished... basically, it
is an splus-like (shell) interface, which can load plugins in a way rather
similar to yours. A plugin exports various symbols to the shell, as well as a
GUI which can itself call the shell. The various plugins have access to each
other. The trick here is that each plugin is actually  a full
mini-application which just takes advantage of the micro-framework of the app
to integrate nicely. This makes creating "dynamic" plugins easy, and
eliminates the need to rewrap the whole toolkit  The whole thing is written
in python/wxPython  (no C/C++) and so far does not call R, but can. The
source is rather messy (deadlines...), but there is a report going with it,
unfortunately in French. If you're interested, tell me (maybe off-list, since
this may not be the place to discuss this!)

> Ok, you're right. Personally, when using RKWard, I'll probably switch it
> back to dialog, but as a default, wizard is probably reasonable.
What about a global setting?

David