[Rkward-devel] To the new subscribers

Detlef Steuer Detlef.Steuer at unibw-hamburg.de
Fri Nov 22 12:51:30 UTC 2002

Hello!

Personally IŽm not too much of a friend of the Qt Toolkit.
Trolltech just puts in too much.

Same goes with KDE. Working towards the goal of integration with Koffice
nevertheless is very tempting.

There is a project going to integrate R with gnumeric, I think.

My dream for Rkward would be an application with a usability like SPSS,
with (look and feel and) features configurable using a config file. So you can
tailor a graphical interface to R for every customer easily.
(config file defines what is in the menu, a bit like in vim.)

As customers tend to be "platform independent", i.e. not Linuxers, I would
therefore like a platform independent approach.
Qt is available for Unix and Windows, a bit of platform independence, too.
 (Mac I donŽt know)

So, if you think the coders of both projects can cooperate, your decision
should imho be based on the availability of more manpower.

I can not offer much time to code myself for such a project, but you could
count on me testing :-)

detlef