[Rkward-devel] project future

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Dec 19 20:04:19 UTC 2002

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your interest in RKWard. Your
subscriptions have indicated to me, that there is indeed need for a project
like RKWard - yet I have decided to give up RKWard in favor for another
project called obveRsive ( http://obversive.sf.net ). The most important
reason for this decision is, that obversive already has a larger pool of
developers (currently three, as opposed to one for RKWard).
Obversive is similar in concept, but uses the FOX-toolkit for development, the
advantage being that it is (L)GPLed and freely available in recent versions
on both *n*x and windows (while Qt-support for windows seems not exactly
whole-hearted).
Either way, if continue to be interested in R-frontend development, I'd like
to invite you over to obversive, and I'd be happy to continue to hear
comments, suggestions or contributions in any other form.
Concerning RKWard itself, I think that this project will not necessarily have
to be given up for good. Having an application that integrates nicely with
KDE seems like a goal worth pursuing to me, but the priority clearly is to
get one project of this sort to a useful state, before it will make sense to
work on more polished variants tailored to a specific platform/desktop.
If you would like to work on RKWard yourself, please do so however. In this
case I'd also be happy to answer questions of all sorts about the existent
code, and would probably also contribute in actual development.