KDE Gear and KF6

Julius Künzel jk.kdedev at smartlab.uber.space
Wed Mar 8 06:50:22 GMT 2023

Hi,

08.03.2023 00:21:31 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:

> El dimarts, 7 de març de 2023, a les 23:39:07 (CET), Neal Gompa va escriure:
>> On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 5:29 PM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>>> El dimarts, 7 de març de 2023, a les 1:09:39 (CET), Neal Gompa va
> escriure:

>From a Kdenlive perspective I would say 2b or 2a are the best choices.

>>> You can not compare Plasma or KDE Frameworks to KDE Gear.
>>>
>>> Plasma and KDE Frameworks are "single products", they need all to be
>>> ported at once and at the same time.
>>>
>>> KDE Gear are independent products that can [mostly] be ported at their own
>>> speed. Also the ratio of developer/line of code is much smaller in general
>>> in KDE Gear.
>>>
>>> For that I don't think the same solution that makes sense for one thing
>>> doesn't necessarily make sense for the other.
>>
>> It's only good until experience incoherence catches up for us. Keep in
>> mind that KDE Gear depends on both Qt 5 and KF5 today. Once both of
>> those aren't supported anymore, that's going to be a big problem for
>> KDE Gear.
>
> That's not going to happen anytime soon, is it?
>
>> I would say that it makes sense to consider prioritizing
>> those migrations and apps that don't move just get dropped from the
>> release service until they update.
>
> Yes, that's what we will do, just not in a 4 months cycle. Maybe let's say in
> 2 years.

After the first KF6 release (which is still a few months ahead) 2 release cycles for KDE Gear apps to port seems realistic too me even for big apps (like Kdenlive). Preparation for Qt6 is already possible since a while. Maybe give one additional cycle buffer, but overall 2 years (=6 release cycles) is too much in my opinion.
As already stated: if an app is not able to do the port within that time, it is always possible to do releases independent of KDE Gear and join back later.

>> We had problems for *years* with apps depending on Qt4+kdelibs4 and
>> later shim libraries until people *finally* gave up on some of those
>> apps. Maybe we should do that from the beginning this time.
>
> Did we? I recall much more problems with people doing "it compiles with Qt5
> shipit" and in fact nothing really worked than the fact that applications were
> using well known versions of things that worked for a few more months.
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,
Julius