KDE Gear and KF6

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 16:04:12 GMT 2023

Hi,

with Plasma switched to KF6, the question what to do for other modules is
coming up as well. Manually released modules have various options there I
guess, but for everything covered by the KDE Gear release automation we
probably want to standardize the process to not break automation too much,
regarding branching at least (for the timeline I expect we need more
flexibility).

I have seen several scenarios mentioned/discussed so far:

(1) The switch to 6 happens within one release cycle. That's the easy case and
probably has minimal to no impact on release automation. Unlikely to be
relevant for 23.08 already, but probably relevant starting from 23.12.

(2) Switching needs more than one cycle. This is more likely to be relevant
for 23.08 already.

(2a) The migration happens in a separate kf6 branch:
- 3 concurrent branches
+ no impact on the release automation
+ continuous releases for users

(2b) The migration happens in the master branch, additional patch releases are
made from the last release branch (ie. instead of e.g. 23.08.0 there would be
a 23.04.4)
+ no change to existing branching patterns for developers
- more significant change to release automation
+ continuous releases for users

(2c) Migration in master branch, so further releases
+ no changes to existing branching patterns
+ presumably minimal impact to release automation
- no bugfix releases for users

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Volker