Proposed applications in the release service

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 02:55:29 BST 2020

You don't have to; it's optional. However I personally recommend it
because otherwise you need to mentally map the version number displayed
in the UI to the version number used in CMake, the git repo branches,
bug tracker, the tarballs, and so on. In the end I think it's simpler to
just have the app use the release service's version numbering scheme.

Speaking personally, I like it when the version numbers are standardized
because this makes it simple for me to predict the next version that a
fix will make into for purposes of writing the weekly blog post. :) I
also like how the release service's version number has a date built in,
which gives it semantic meaning. You can tell exactly how old a version
is just from its number.

Nate