Merge tags in master branch?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Nov 28 21:16:18 GMT 2020

On lundi 23 novembre 2020 16:11:02 CET Bhushan Shah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I have one question regarding the how we do the framework versioning.
> Namely the tags,
>
> So currently some packages have a versioned tags on their master branch,
>
> i.e
>
> karchive:
>
> ➜ git describe
> v5.76.0-1-g7304c28
>
> While in case of some frameworks where translations needs to be taken
> from svn, it is something super weird like,
>
> kdesu:
>
> ➜ git describe
> v5.2.0-234-gb7ba89f
>
> Some packagers who package -git versions in their unstable repos check
> the git describe to figure out what is current revision of the package
> and having "wrong" version there bugs out weirdly.

I know I'm doing something unusual with tags in KDE Frameworks
(tags that are not part of a branch), but I'm surprised anyone would rely on
`git describe` anyway, I've seen it being a bit unreliable/unexpected in the
past (in non KDE repositories).

> Do anyone have any opinion on "merging" latest git tag in master branch?
> and potentially doing that for next releases as well?

Merging the tag into master would work, I guess.
One downside for KF5 developers is that the translated docbook files then have
to be built. That's many screenfuls of things like
[ 21%] Generating po/sr at latin/docs/kioslave5/webdav/index.cache.bz2
which is just "noise" to developers, at least those who read the cmake output
like I do ;-). And it might slow down compilation, I guess.
You can check out v5.76.0 in kio to see what it looks like.

Pushing translations every day as suggested by Harald creates the risk of a
bad translation file breaking compilation. I remember catching that quite a
few times when I started doing KF5 releases. But it hasn't happened for a long
while so maybe there's now a git hook or something, to prevent that from
happening?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5