KDE release 20.12.0 packages available for packagers

Christoph Feck cfeck at kde.org
Thu Dec 24 15:18:42 GMT 2020

On 12/10/20 16:30, Heiko Becker wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 15:32:35 CET, Christoph Feck wrote:
>> While the 20.12.0 releases are now published, the KDE release team
>> is still looking for volunteers to package future releases.
>
> considering that I've enjoyed nice tarballs as a packager for quite a
> few years, I'd be willing to step up and give something back. I know my
> way around a command line and git and I think I roughly know how the
> release service tarballs are made.

Hello Heiko,

sorry for getting back to you this late. Thank you for volunteering to
help the release team with future KDE releases! To get you started, I
plan to involve you in the release process for the 20.12.1 releases.

The steps involved are documented at https://phabricator.kde.org/T12272
(but may a bit outdated). The schedule[1] says we should prepare the
repositories before Jan 4. In the meantime, you could start preparing
your system. I currently do not have access to the machine from where I
do the releases, so some details might be missing.

* git checkout the following repositories:
     - sysadmin/release-tools (releases/20.12 branch)
     - Jonathan Riddel's repository for "add_appstream_versions.sh"
       (which needs some Python setup)
     - all repositories listed at release-tools/modules.git to a flat
       directory
       (there used to be a mapping file to find the invent location ...)

* Locally adapt the config file in release-tools to point to the
     add_appstream_versions location.

* svn checkout the i18n data using release-tools/update_l10n.sh

* ask sysadmins to get ssh access to these accounts:
     - pkgapplications at capona.kde.org
     - ftpadmin at deino.kde.org
     Also you need commit access to some repositories for WWW, but since
     that recently changed, I am not sure about the repository names.

* make sure you have a GPG key setup. If you are not in our ring,
     Albert knows best how to do the key signing via Internet video
     conferencing (e.g. Jitsi).
     If possible, also investigate how to get your key setup forwarded
     to the capona account.

(If anyone can correct me or add to this list, please do :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and the whole KDE community!

BG,
Christoph

[1]
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/release_service/20.12_Release_Schedule