Deprecating Old Amarok Versions

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Oct 3 11:46:41 BST 2019

Nice discussion to see in the exact week I'm on a holiday...

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 19:49, Heiko Becker <mail at heiko-becker.de> wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2019 18:03:49 CEST, Nate Graham wrote:
> > In general I think a policy of deprecating Qt4-only software
> > makes sense. Qt4 has been or is being removed from distros and
> > nobody supports it anymore. Apps that didn't get ported after
> > all these years are, for all intents and purposes, abandoned and
> > dead. We can un-deprecate them if anyone ever decided to port
> > them, but until then, I support deprecating all Qt4
> > apps--including Amarok.
>
> FWIW it is ported. Although the porting introduced quite a number of bugs.
>

> Indeed, and some distros have already jumped the gun and ship a master
build without notifying their users that they ship a pre-beta version...
About the bugs: those were already there in the Qt4 version, just not that
noticeable. What we need to do is port those pesky Plasma widgets to QML.
It's certainly not hard, but tiresome, at least the most used ones need a
port so we can make a tech preview release. Also, Qt6 is already around the
corner...

As for the Qt4 versions: we didn't deprecate it on purpose, as there were
still distros shipping it, Suse and Debian are the last to have finally
jumped on the Qt5-wagon. Not talking about CentOS, as they lag behind
pretty much everything anyway...

So far I don't think we ever removed tarballs, moving to the attic makes
far more sense.

Did I mention that Amarok was never shipped with KDE application releases
anyway, so I don't see any urgency in here.

I let the sysadmins decide what is best...

Regards, Myriam

Protect your freedom and support the work of the FSFE:
http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org/>