Fix Step infobrowser and examples localization for 19.12

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Nov 27 06:31:37 GMT 2019

середа, 27 листопада 2019 р. 01:17:57 EET ви написали:
> El dimarts, 26 de novembre de 2019, a les 19:46:44 CET, Yuri Chornoivan va
escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Step infobrowser localization was somewhat broken during 19.12 release
> > cycle.
> >
> > This can be fixed by the following differential revision:
> >
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D25405
> >
> > The revision requires two new localization files, step_objinfo_files.po
> > and
> > step_example_files.po, for a translation locale to be present in the
> > source
> > archive of Step to localize descriptions, tutorials and examples at the
> > build time.
>
> Just so that I understand this correctly, previously l10n teams could
> provide their own .html files that would be shown by step.
>
> This is broken in the 19.12 branch.
>
> Your fix improves the situation by creating a .po file and then creating
> those .html files on compile time (besides making the .html files be used
> at all)
>
> Am I right?

Yes, absolutely.

> If so, this is "a bit" of a "l10n freeze break", right?

Actually, not. Without this patch, infobrowser messages are untranslatable (by
design). The examples and tutorials were untranslatable for all previous
versions of Step.

In fact, scripty runs extraction every day but its results go to nowhere. the
patch just rectifies the good old Step translation system.

> I mean it adds new strings in .po files that previously were translatable
> only translating the .html files manually (so they did not really influence
> stats)
>
> Would you mind doing a quick round of asking in the l10n list if they would
> have any problem with having more .po stuff?

Done (I do not think it will be "quick" though).

> Besides that if you're confident we're not regressing the english text
> somehow I think it would probably be fine to have it in 19.12.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Yuri