Remove bundle wrapper, give public to all products, call it "Greater KDE Software Release Day" (was: Re: KDE Applications rename to KDE Apps Bundle)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri May 10 22:33:58 BST 2019

Am Freitag, 10. Mai 2019, 22:47:08 CEST schrieb Luigi Toscano:
> Il 10.05.2019 21:56 Nate Graham ha scritto:
> > On 5/10/19 12:07 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> >> I strongly object this solution. "Apps bundle" is just another
> >> generic
> >> name which does not solve the issue of people distinguishing between
> >> "all applications/projects by KDE" and "that specific set of stuff
> >> (not
> >> just applications) released together every 4 months".
> >
> > I think the root cause is that the bundle's contents *are* arbitrary.
> > Why is Konsole in the bundle but Yakuake isn't? Why is Kdenlive in,
> > but
> > Digikam isn't? JuK vs Elisa? Why isn't Discover in it?
> >
> > No name will succeed in differentiating the contents because right
> > now
> > there's nothing to differentiate. To solve this problem, we'd need to
> > either be more inclusive and try to get as many apps as possible into
> > the bundle, or else clearly define what the bundle is and then be
> > more
> > exclusive, removing apps that don't fit that definition.
>
> The name does not need to differentiate the content. The name should be
> a) unique enough so that searching for it would hit just its page
> b) distinct enough from generic words like "Application", "Apps" and so
> on. The reason for that is to make sure that people don't confuse this
> bundle with "all the applications and libraries developed by KDE", which
> is a common source of confusion.
>
> This has nothing to do with the content shipped with the bundle.

As before I think the whole concept of this named meta bundle is broken, and
actually destructive: it covers and hides away the names of all the products
actually released that day, those names which will appear on the display's of
the users' devices and in the software installation manager and in the
manuals, while the release bundle product is no longer interesting after the
release news has been sung.

Releases are the one time where one can make a splash and get names into news
tag lines which are also read by people not yet using those software products
created in the KDE community. Don't we want to see "Kontact", "Dolphin",
"Gwenview", "Konsole", "Rocs", "Cantor", "Kate", "Okular" in the headlines
and be known by & familiar to more people?

And even if we still continue to use the concept of bundle products, we would
be better off to have separate bundles per software domain:
One for all the games.
One for all the PIM/communication software.
One for all the education software.
One for all the science software.
One for all the system tools.
One for all the software development utils.
With one separate news item per bundle. To give more representation to all
the software products in this big box, and catching more people's attention
due to more keywords.

Currently any release news with this thing called KDE Applications is totally
missing to emphasize the rich set of software which exists, as only a few
make it into the spotlight, due to news nature and people's attention
capabilities. And this while many of them are multi-platform and not bound to
"KDE==Plasma" as it is still in many people's heads, if we like it or not.
>From what I remember, the current situation is also due to developers over
the years not having supported the release dudes with information about
changes in all the products (other than the commit changelog which makes
hardly good news text to spread), so they just gave up and did a simple one-
news-item-with-all-we-got,

But from a promo POV, this is a total miss-out to make people aware of all
the software.

IMHO this release cycle group of software should get an KDE-internal name for
the release cycle group, like the group of software  with independent release
cycle still is referenced as "Extragear". So admins and release managers have
an id to use when talking about this group. Perhaps something like
"Fourmonthsgroup" :)
And the day when that software in the big synchronized release cycle group
gets releases could be called "Greater KDE Software Release Day".

Cheers
Friedrich