KDE Applications rename to KDE Apps Bundle

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri May 10 10:56:17 BST 2019

Il 10.05.2019 08:37 Paul Brown ha scritto:

> On viernes, 10 de mayo de 2019 1:13:49 (CEST) Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose renaming KDE Applications to KDE Apps Bundle.
>> We've
>> had discussion on it here https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812 [1] The
>> rationale is that KDE Applications is confusing as there are KDE
>> applications which are not part of KDE Applications. Bundle is
>> understandable as a collection of different bits. Also Apps and
>> Bundle
>> are cooler more fashionable terms. This would be from the next major
>> 19.08 release. Jonathan
>
> Although I don't feel strongly about this, because I think a drawn
> out
> discussion about the topic would be the epitome of bikeshedding, it
> is a
> +1
> from me FWIW.
>
> The suggested name is friendly and nicely informal, which I think
> will
> make it
> easier to "sell" to a larger number of people (hence would make my
> job
> easier
> too). It is also quite specific, as it is not "Apps Bundle", but "KDE
> Apps
> Bundle" -- using the brand in the name makes a difference with
> regards to
> the
> specificity.

No, sorry. "KDE Applications" has the brand in its name, but it is
still generic.

> Unless someone has data-based reasons for not changing, I am for it.

I may request the same regarding "Apps Bundle" being distinguishable
enough compared to "KDE Applications". I fail to see your point as
convincing enough. I strongly believe that a totally generic ("KDE
fritzsomething") would be more useful, should we change this name,

Can you please spend one month on #kde and the KDE-related support
channel of the distributions and see how and what people ask for when
they look for "applications" and "KDE"?

Ciao
--
Luigi

Con OpenStar hai Giga, SMS e i minuti che vuoi da 4,99€ al mese, per
sempre. Cambi gratis quando e come vuoi e in più hai 6 mesi di INFINTY!
http://tisca.li/myopen