[kde-release-team] Re: New module: KPkPass

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 21:21:24 UTC 2018

El dilluns, 19 de març de 2018, a les 20:26:36 CET, Volker Krause va escriure:
> On Monday, 19 March 2018 18:15:49 CET Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 06:04:51PM +0100, Volker Krause wrote:
> >
> > https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle
> >
> > > (1) We do not do "direct-to-frameworks" releases, ie. new modules should
> > > be battle-tested elsewhere before moving to KF5.
> >
> > I don't know of that but once in frameworks there's strict ABI
> > requirements
> > so it's usually best to test elsewhere.  Self released extragear is easy
> > enough.
>
> Can Application modules depend on libraries from Extragear releases though?

Sure, why not?

> > > (2) We do not do releases from playground, and following that, no
> > > released
> > > module can depend on playground modules.
> >
> > You can make alpha releases from playground, but not beta and final
> >
> > > (3) Module moves have to be avoided where possible, ie. they should only
> > > be done to fix stuff, not as a planned evolution of a module.
> >
> > No reason why that should be.  Moving from Applications to elsewhere I'd
> > avoid just because of the version number lowering which annoys packagers.
>
> Right, which excludes the Application -> Frameworks move which is
> particularly interesting for a number of framework candidates in KDE PIM.

I wouldn't say "excludes" it, but yes the versioning change will be weird.

Maybe if possible and doesn't feel forced, there can be a name change/
improvement that may help?

> Thanks,
> Volker

P.S: We really need to find a new name for extragear at some point :D