Limiting who can create v${NUMBER}.${NUMBER}.${NUMBER} tags in KDE Applications git repos

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 25 11:22:19 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Rolf Eike Beer
> > <kde at opensource.sf-tec.de> wrote:

> >> This sounds sane to me. Simply require those tags to be signed by
> >> $key_in_known_good_list.
> >
> > Given the recent security issues surrounding interaction with GPG done
> > by external programs, I would rather not perform key verification.
>
> Which one do you mean? The EFFfail one, that was about tricking mail
> clients into data exfiltration (which is not relevant here)? The one
> where the embedded filename was not properly sanitized (CVE-2018-12020)
> and every distro should already have a patch deployed? Or the side
> channel attacks to recover the private key that is not on the git
> machine at all?
>
> Sorry, but not doing GnuPG is always the worse option.

Having looked at the EFAIL vulnerability in particular I agree I see no reason to not do key verification.
Any processing in principle has potential for vulnerabilities, but verifying a signature with a public key
is IMO not any more dangerous than any other arbitrary operation or script.

Cheers,
Christian