KDE Apps Release Announcement

Christoph Feck cfeck at kde.org
Thu Dec 13 18:46:57 GMT 2018

Hi Alex,

CC'ing kde-promo and release-team.

On 13.12.2018 18:27, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 6:14 PM Christoph Feck <cfeck at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13.12.2018 17:56, Aleix Pol wrote:
>>> I hear there's been some turmoil regarding the announcement, can you fill
>>> me in about what happened?
>>
>> KDE Applications 18.12 were released 3 hours ago. Did I miss anything?
>>

> I think it would be interesting that for the next release announcement you
> talk with kde-promo, because they had the impression that they were rushed
> into working on it.

The Promo team was informed https://phabricator.kde.org/T10070 about the
coming release on Nov 17, with a detailed schedule
https://phabricator.kde.org/T10131 filed on Nov 26.

> Not that it went wrong but it seemed to me that the process wasn't
> predictable to them.

We did not change anything in the process compared to the 18.08
announcement.

> It seems they didn't expect the embargo today and felt kind of lost. Maybe
> you can drop by #kde-promo next time or send an e-mail saying when it's
> going to happen. Otherwise they freak out. :P

I think they misunderstood the embargo.

We do not publish the announcement until the repositories are tagged and
the download servers are open. Until then, the announcement page is
disabled.

> Also it seems that KDE Promo wasn't aware that it was you leading the
> release, maybe it would have been useful to them.

It should be irrelevant who is doing it. If promo needs to contact the
team who is doing releases, they can use release-team mailing list or
comment on the phabricator task that we open for communication between
the teams.

But yes, I was responsible for lifting the embargo. I wasn't aware that
the promo team needs the exact time point for when the tags are made; it
was never an issue in the past. Unfortunately I cannot predict the time
when I will be able to do it. Even while I am unemployed, I cannot work
for KDE 24/7.

--
Christoph Feck
KDE Release Team