Pre-alert for kdesdk-kioslaves/Frameworks in Applications 17.04

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 02:25:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 05:23:12PM +0100, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Luigi Toscano ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> > I ported what's left of kdesdk-kioslaves (kio_perldoc) to Frameworks. There
> > are 3 pending reviews for Michael Pyne:
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D5020
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D5021
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D5022
> >
> > and if he agrees, I would like to merge frameworks into master for 17.04.
> >
> > I'm sending out this as pre-alert. I'd like to ask an exception if it's not
> > possible to complete the reviews before the dependency freeze.
>
> Update: Michael reviewed the 3 patches and they are merged now. The kioslave
> work, the HTML looks correct and matches for example the output of kio_man,
> but when loaded into Konqueror the styles and the other images (which comes
> from other kioslaves, like help:/) are not shown. If the generated page is
> saved and the file is loaded, they are shown. I'm puzzled and I'm not sure
> where the problem is, probably not on the kioslave side.

I think it has something to do with the way KHTML applies CSS styles...
if you manually replace all the help:/ links with the equivalent file://
links then the images show up find.

The images seem to be the only problem, the CSS itself can be loaded
fine from help:/ (as confirmed by diving into the DOM using the 'Show
DOM Tree' plugin).

If it's really a KHTML CSS bug I'm not sure how difficult it will be to
fix (might be as "simple" as fixing an image loader, but I'm not a KHTML
expert).

We use generate help:/ instead of file:// in the doc kioslaves on
purpose since it points to i18n-localized paths, but for the case of
images specifically it may be that they are all common and we can
hardcode to doc/HTML/en (or at least, that doing so would be better than
nothing).

> So, I'm open to ideas: if you think that it's fine as it is (i.e. you can show
> something, which is more than the current useless kio which only works for
> kdelibs4 applications or through kioclient(4)), then I can merge frameworks
> into master.

I'm biased but I think it's better than nothing.  These kind of features
need more/better discoverability though. :(

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne