who is authorised to move repos around?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jun 22 07:25:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:14 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> I'm unclear who is authorised to move git repos around, e.g. from
> playground to kdereview to kde-extra
>
> It used to be only sysadmins which seems like a political burden on a tech team.
>
> Now anyone can edit repo-metadata.  So can anyone move repos around as
> long as rules and conventions are followed?
>
> I wonder if it should be a task moved to a team such as the release
> team (but then that's not a well defined team).
>
> I'm asked because I was asked to review atcore being moved around
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D6318

Historically (prior to the transition to Git at least) there were no
technical limitations preventing any developer from moving projects
from Playground to KDE Review to main modules / Extragear (or even
skipping KDE Review as the case may be).

The rules about transitioning to KDE Review and then to the
appropriate main module following successful review are entirely
social.

Assuming the rules and conventions surrounding KDE Review and entry of
projects into modules continues to be followed, I see no reason why we
should change. All changes to the structure are fairly easy to monitor
(simply watch sysadmin/repo-metadata on git.kde.org) and it's overseen
by Sysadmin anyway as all changes to that repository are announced on
#kde-sysadmin.

> Jonathan

Cheers,
Ben