Applications 17.12 as LTS release?
elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Mon Jul 31 10:19:48 UTC 2017
I'd like to discuss whether we can make the next Applications release an
LTS release. What would be needed from a practical point of view? (changes
to release/i18n scripts, etc.?)
About the schedule, I think we could release the LTS tarballs the same day
we release the usual bugfix tarballs:
* release of 17.12.1
* release of 17.12.2
* release of 17.12.3
* release of 18.04.1 + release of 17.12.4
* release of 18.04.2 + release of 17.12.5
* release of 18.04.3 + release of 17.12.6
* release of 18.08.1 + release of 17.12.7
* release of 18.08.2 + release of 17.12.8
* release of 18.08.3 + release of 17.12.9
... and so on.
Motivations for making 17.12 an LTS release:
* 17.12 due in December, next Plasma LTS due in January.
* New openSUSE and Ubuntu LTS releases due next year.
* 17.12 won't have kdelibs4 applications, so it would be a 'stable' target.
Of course we should ask distributions if they actually need an LTS for
Applications (I can send another mail at distributions at kde.org after we
agree that an LTS is doable), but I don't see why they wouldn't.
More information about the release-team