Clarification on requirements for a release

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jul 4 00:49:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> the phab task is marked private.

Because it's a Sysadmin task, as we receive confidential requests from
time to time.
Only the task author and it's subscribers can see it.

> on a general note I do not think this was ever discussed or agreed
> upon and makes no sense (how the heck is a playground project meant to
> evolve if it can't do bloody pre releases...).
>
> making production releases from playground is not advisable because
> a) playground was not peer-reviewed through kdereview and
> b) for reasons I do not know playground projects cannot have stable
> translations, so you couldn't do maintenance releases afterwards
> without jumping through hoops to retain
>
> even so there's plenty of stuff releasing from playground, which I'll
> argue is their business. just at a glance I am seeing like 10 projects
> that have production releases but live in playground.
>
> whoever came up with this bullshit should stop putting stones in
> people's way and publish the tarballs. releasing tarballs is enough of
> a chore as it is.

I was the one who made that decision, and it was done because there
were quite a few projects who had been making releases from playground
for well over a year.

If we don't enforce some rules around what Playground projects can and
cannot do we may as well abolish the concept of Playground altogether.
I think we can all agree that would be bad for the quality of software
produced by the KDE Community in general given the sorts of issues
which get found on review.

Kube and the like have been around for a while now, so asking the
question of whether it should be headed to KDE Review and Extragear is
a reasonable question to ask.

> HS

Regards,
Ben