Clarification on requirements for a release

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 3 15:49:15 UTC 2017

On Monday, 3 July 2017 17:43:15 CEST Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017, at 05:15 PM, Harald Sitter wrote:
> > the phab task is marked private.
> >
> > on a general note I do not think this was ever discussed or agreed
> > upon and makes no sense (how the heck is a playground project meant to
> > evolve if it can't do bloody pre releases...).
> >
> > making production releases from playground is not advisable because
> > a) playground was not peer-reviewed through kdereview and
> > b) for reasons I do not know playground projects cannot have stable
> > translations, so you couldn't do maintenance releases afterwards
> > without jumping through hoops to retain
> >
> > even so there's plenty of stuff releasing from playground, which I'll
> > argue is their business. just at a glance I am seeing like 10 projects
> > that have production releases but live in playground.
> >
> > whoever came up with this bullshit should stop putting stones in
> > people's way and publish the tarballs. releasing tarballs is enough of
> > a chore as it is.
>
> Ok, thanks for your input. I fully agree that it should be possible to
> make releases,
> but not production releases, and that's what I'm trying to do.
>
> I added you as a subscriber to the ticket, so you should be able to see
> it now I think.

For the record and after checking the ticket:
- an exception was offered anyway since the beginning, so there were no
blocker for the release
- the never abolished process does not say that you can't release from
playground. It says (more or less) that you should not consistently release
from playground.

https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle#Stage_2:_Stable

and this is in line with the "no i18n stable branches for playground", because
when you start thinking about stable releases, you are not experimenting
anymore.

--
Luigi