Clarification on requirements for a release

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 3 15:21:58 UTC 2017

On Monday, 3 July 2017 17:15:19 CEST Harald Sitter wrote:
> the phab task is marked private.
>
> on a general note I do not think this was ever discussed or agreed
> upon and makes no sense (how the heck is a playground project meant to
> evolve if it can't do bloody pre releases...).
>
> making production releases from playground is not advisable because
> a) playground was not peer-reviewed through kdereview and
> b) for reasons I do not know playground projects cannot have stable
> translations, so you couldn't do maintenance releases afterwards
> without jumping through hoops to retain

Because playground is not supposed to have production releases, as you wrote
above, so we never tracked or enabled translations for playground. It's part
of the workflow.

> even so there's plenty of stuff releasing from playground, which I'll
> argue is their business. just at a glance I am seeing like 10 projects
> that have production releases but live in playground.

Can you please list it, so we can fix them instead of keeping this a self-
fulfilling prophecy?

> whoever came up with this bullshit should stop putting stones in
> people's way and publish the tarballs. releasing tarballs is enough of
> a chore as it is.

I beg to disagree.
You are free to release pre-production from playground. When you start
releasing stable stuff, you are shouting that you are not *play*ground
anymore.

--
Luigi