kajongg has new dependencies

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jan 17 08:52:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald
<wolfgang.kde at rohdewald.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 16. Januar 2017, 22:41:00 CET schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>> Another hurdle to make it "compile" on CI. CI doesn't have python3-twisted
>> installed and if we were to install it, the base system we use only has
>> 15.4.0 (you require 16.6.0 i think)
>
> 15.4.0 is too old (september 2015).
>
> Only 16.5.0 has the needed parts ported to python3, but 16.6.0
> has some bug fixes I might want to rely on eventually.
>
> Installation of 16.6.0 is easy:
>
> pip3 install twisted
>
> this automatically installs all dependencies.
>
> Without root rights it installs only for current user in ~/.local,
> otherwise in /usr/local.
>
> I know next to nothing about CI but maybe you can define
> pre/post scripts for tests which would install/remove
> twisted only for the current user.

Please file a Sysadmin/CI ticket (task with the projects Sysadmin and
build.kde.org).

This shouldn't be too difficult to implement - please see
https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-master-config.git/tree/docker/ubuntu-wily-slave/Dockerfile
for the Docker recipe which currently supports the KF5 build image.

> I also just added a runtime check to kajongg - if twisted is too old,
> the  user will get a warning dialog. Just pushed to git master.
>
> I could extend that: If pip3 is available, kajongg could ask the
> user if he wants to download twisted (which would do pip3 install
> without root rights). That would go into a kajongg specific
> directory. Kajongg would then always have to check
> if the system wide twisted has been updated and remove its
> private copy when it is not needed anymore.
>
> I could also add a private copy of twisted to kajongg.git and
> install it everywhere. Kajongg would only use it as a fallback if
> the system has not what it needs. That would add about
> 15M of source code, staying in .git forever. So I would
> prefer the above variant with downloading by the user.
>
> Applications/16.12 runs fine with both  python2 and python3,
> so until the python3 only version in master is ready, that
> would be another possible fallback. But I only fix bugs in
> 16.12, no backports of new features.
>
> I did not want to wait with removing support for
> python2, qt4 and pykde4 until 17.08 because this
> simplifies many things internally and reduces an entire
> class of possible bugs with charset encodings.
>
> --
> Wolfgang

Regards,
Ben