Suggestion to Remove KFloppy and hold back K3b

Wolfgang Bauer wbauer at tmo.at
Wed Feb 22 22:05:14 UTC 2017

Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017, 22:42:01 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017, 20:07:09 CET schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> > Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017, 01:07:42 schrieb Boudhayan Gupta:
> > > I really don't see why this has to exist. Anyone who uses floppies in
> > > this day and age knows how to use a command line to do a low level
> > > format.
> >
> > Maybe, but using a GUI is more comfortable and you don't have to remember
> > which tools and command line options to use... ;-)
> >
> > The original mail here suggested to drop it because it "doesn't work"
> > (which is not completely true).
> > And I am willing to work on improving it.
> >
> > Whether it still "has to exist" is a different topic IMHO, and probably
> > also quite subjective.
> > I do use it regularly and would be disappointed if it would disappear.
> > That's the reason why I stepped up as maintainer a bit over a year ago,
> > and
> > invested time and effort to port it to KF5...
> >
> > My opinion: you don't have to install it if you have no need for it.
>
> I wonder whether it makes sense to make it a more generic format tool that
> can also format USB sticks. Then it may make sense to give it a more
> generic name.

KFloppy can do that (in theory) already since years.
Just manually type in the device file in the chooser.

That is mentioned in the documentation, btw.

I haven't tried it myself yet (that's why it is still marked as
experimental... ;-) ), and it will of course not create partitions, but  just
zero out and/or create a file system on the device you specify.

My plan (now) is to query Solid for removable devices (not only Floppy
drives), and offer them in the chooser too.
But this needs more thoughts...

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang