Status of kde-dev-utils

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 16 22:57:37 UTC 2017

Hi all,
I started the porting of kde-dev-utils to Frameworks. It was a educative
experience and I learned a lot (especially cleaning up oooold code), now I
have the question about two components. But let's me summarize the status,
starting from the more stable bits:

*kuiviewer*
Ported, no KDELibs4Support, apparently on par with the old version.

*kpartloader*
Ported, no KDELibs4Support, apparently on par with the old version (and useful
to find which KParts misses the translation domain, for example)

*kprofilemethod*
A simple header with two macros which should be added to the code to get the
timing using QTime. Blindly ported, not tried yet.

*kstartperf*
blind port, not working currently (no performance measured), wondering whether
to investigate the magic that it does reading X properties or forget about it
in favour of KCacheGrind

*kmtrace*
It should debug malloc when GNU glibc is used, but:
- it still has Q3Support; I blindly applied the Frameworks porting scripts,
but of course it can't be compiled so far
- I can't even check the behavior of the kdelibs4 version because it seems to
run forever even on a small log generated by the tracing part.

So if anyone more used to profiling tools (maybe we should CC the kdevelop
list too) could take a look at the last three and see whether it's worth
fixing it or they have better replacements in place, it would be good.

Ciao
--
Luigi