[opensuse-kde] RFC: Dropping (for real) KTP from Applications 17.12

Gustavo Pichorim Boiko gboiko at suse.com
Thu Aug 24 17:06:12 UTC 2017

Hi

On quarta-feira, 23 de agosto de 2017 12:46:39 -03 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> NOTE: this mail comes from a downstream (distributor / integrator) point of
> view. Feel free to correct possible errors. Also please try to keep both
> lists in CC.
>
> Hello,
>
> a recent message[1] to the release-team mailing list suggested that KDE
> Telepathy is de facto dead, due to lack of maintenance with the exception of
> infrequent contributions. Now, the problem seems also to affect the
> upstream Telepathy project, which is mostly dormant. Recently, a component
> used by KTP (the Qt bindings for Telepathy) broke with CMake 3.9 (and a fix
> or a release is not in sight; there has been no significant activity since
> 2015).

I tried building the latest git of TelepathyQt using latest available CMake
(3.9.1) and it worked fine, I am interested in knowing what exactly is broken
there.
That alone still does not solve the problem of KTP being unmaintained, but at
least it is not broken.

> At this point, with many parts of the stack that are likely
> bitrotting, and even a mostly dead upstream, it is the time to wonder
> whether KTP should be still part of Applications. It was suggested to keep
> it if it didn't break, but as I mentioned, some dependencies *are* already
> broken.
>
> Therefore, I would suggest for it to be dropped from the next Applications
> release (17.12). For what it's worth, it's being already dropped from
> openSUSE Tumbleweed (and the future stable versions as well), unless, of
> course, the impasse can be solved, but IMO it would just move the line to
> the next breakage (which is going to happen, sooner or later),

Just out of curiosity, what would be the alternative here? Getting back to
Kopete?

Cheers

Gustavo Boiko