KDE Telepathy as part of KDE Applications

Martin Klapetek mklapetek at kde.org
Wed Aug 2 20:06:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El dimecres, 2 d’agost de 2017, a les 18:44:17 CEST, Christoph Feck va
> escriure:
> > On 02.08.2017 17:52, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > I was long thinking about writing this email but kept putting it off,
> > > but I think it's only fair towards everyone, especially our users so
> > > here it goes finally.
> > >
> > > The KDE Telepathy project is as of now unmaintained for over
> > > a year. That means there is no active development nor bugfixes
> > > except a few occasional patches from an uncooperative guy.
> > > Nobody is handling the incoming bugs. The protocol support is
> > > outdated, the KAccounts project is unmaintained (including the
> > > upstream), I'm not sure about the upstream Telepathy project
> > > but my guess is that it's also not in active development anymore
> > > either.
> > >
> > > As the last maintainer of KDE Telepathy and KAccounts, I feel like
> > > we're doing our users a disservice by shipping such outdated and
> > > unmaintained software. Therefore I'd like to recommend to stop
> > > shipping KDE Telepathy (all the ktp-* packages) as part of KDE
> > > Applications, if just to not give the impression that this is still
> being
> > > developed.
> > >
> > > But I'd like to leave it at that - a recommendation from the previous
> > > maintainer. If you guys still think it's worth being shipped, it's ok
> if
> > > you continue so. I just wanted you to be aware of the state of the
> > > project that we ship as our main IM solution.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > --
> > > Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer
> >
> > Looking at the bug tracker, we receive some bugs for KAccounts, but
> > virtually none for other KTP components. Either nobody uses those (in
> > this case I have no objections for your proposal), or they work fine,
> > which means I see no reason to stop shipping them.
> >
> > Note that we have literally hundreds of "unmaintained" modules,
> > including many games and edu apps in KDE Applications. Our general
> > policy is to move them out only when they are no longer buildable or
> > usable, and nobody steps up to fix that.
>
> Agreed, it doesn't seem to be "horribly broken", so shipping it for those
> that
> still use it makes sense imho.

Fine with me then, as I said in the previous email - I didn't know
if KDE has any policies for shipping unmaintained apps and
I just wanted the release team to be aware, especially given
I went through the effort of getting KDE Telepathy into KDE
Applications releases in the first place, I kinda felt it's my duty
to at least inform you.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek