Licensing of KDE Bulgarian translations (GPL only) causes licensing

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Apr 19 09:12:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:00:54AM +0200, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the bundling of translations with application traballs uncovered a *major*
> problem with licensing.
>
> Several tarballs contain LGPL licensed software. However, the Bulgarian
> translation is GPL only: which means that, at least for packages which bundle
> both the software and the translation, the license can not stay GPL.
>
> This is preventing most KDE software from entering in openSUSE due to these
> issues (because legal review of the new packages containing languages), unless
> we manually strip out the Bulgarian translations, something that we would not
> like to do.
>
> Advice on how to fix the situation is appreciated.
>
> Along with kde-i18n-doc, I CC'ed release team and the Bulgarian translation
> list (along with some other people from openSUSE).

Discussed on IRC.  This isn't a major problem as it doesn't affect the
licence of the application.  Where it happens with frameworks it is
against policy, for apps the policy allows LGPL or GPL or BSD.  The
problem teams should be contacted to see if the licence can be tidied
up.  Where it still goes against policy they should be removed.  The
policy should be re-worded to keep things neater.

Jonathan