PIM: Version alignment

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 18 22:08:30 UTC 2016

On Saturday 17 September 2016 08:22:20 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> From their perspective their distribution shipped them Applications
> 15.10 (as that will be what the release notes say) yet when they got
> to report a bug they won't find those version numbers.

This argument is flawed. It ignores that a lot of KDE applications
(actually most KDE applications) are not released as part of a KDE
Applications release. Obviously, none of these KDE applications shares
the version number of the KDE Applications release. Are the users
confused about the versions of those applications, too?

Taking your argument one step further: Any application released with
Ubuntu 16.04 (to name a random example) should share the same version
number because otherwise users could be confused if they wanted to
report a bug in an application shipped with Ubuntu 16.04. I hope that
the absurdity of this proposal is obvious.

If a user is confused about the version of a specific application, then
a simple check of Help->About <app name> (or an <app> --version on the
command line) will clarify the version.

And if Help->Report Bug does not automatically set the correct version,
then the application's maintainer is not doing his/her job properly (or
the Report Bug functionality or Bugzilla is broken).

Moreover, I agree that it's confusing for potential contributors that
the tags in the repositories do not match the version numbers. This
should be fixed by creating tags matching the version numbers
additionally to the KDE_Applications_YY.MM tags. IMO that's also part of
the maintainers' job for all applications that are part of the KDE
Applications release, but that do not share the KDE Applications version
number.

Last, but not least, all applications that are part of the KDE
Applications release should define their version in a standardized way,
so that it can be extracted automatically to update Bugzilla and maybe
also to set the additional version tag.

> Also, these
> versions have already been added on Bugzilla, so the confusion is
> present amongst our own developers as well.

The version numbers in Bugzilla can be fixed easily. Even for long
released applications.

> From my perspective, this discord should be eliminated by harmonizing
> the version numbers.

A partial harmonization of the version numbers (because you cannot
harmonize the version numbers of all KDE applications) won't fix
anything.

Regards,
Ingo