PIM: Version alignment

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 06:09:00 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 16 septembre 2016, 20:55:16 CEST David Jarvie a écrit :
> On 16 September 2016 11:55:50 BST, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 10:52:32PM +1200, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> It seems that KDE PIM, despite being part of the Applications
> >
> >release,
> >
> >> doesn't align it's internal version numbers with the rest of the
> >> Applications release.
> >>
> >> This causes issues - as we've received complaints about various
> >> products (all being PIM products) missing versions on bugs.kde.org,
> >> due to this mismatch. It's also confusing for users.
> >>
> >> Can PIM please fall in line with the rest of Applications?
> >
> >This is common across lots of apps in Applications.  e.g. Umbrello is
> >at 2.20.99 internally.  It's always been the case.
> >
> >Jonathan
>
> This idea was discussed a year or two ago, and it was agreed then that
> applications would keep their own version numbering, if desired.
>
> The KDE Applications version is simply a date indication. It's very useful,
> for developers who want it, to be able to have an individual application
> version which has a meaning in functional terms.
>
> I strongly disagree with this proposal to change version numbers.

I disagree too to change version number.
I don't want to define version again 16.08.x for developping version I will not
change 16.08.54 for example.
We need when we look at version that kmail 5.3.x is based on kf5 etc as kdepim
4.11.x was kde4 version.

When I look at version in okteta for example it's 0.20.60, kigo is 0.5.6
=> so nobody use harmonized version and it's seem to be not a problem.

So I want to continue to use existing version as previous.

When I look at in bugs.kde.org version for kmail2 there is not a 16.x version
or 5.3.x version.
So it's not a problem about version in kmail but a missing version in
bugzilla.

Regards.

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer