Should we make it easier and encourage bug reports to be send to distributions

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Feb 4 20:38:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

tl;dr; I think KDE should encourage and make it easier for distributions to
link to their own Bugtracker in KXmlGui's "Report Bug" action.

Sent this to release-team as I would have sent this to kde-packager and
release-team is the successor of that list.

This mail was inspired a bit by recent discussions about optional dependencies
and how they should not allow packagers to break functionality by leaving them
out in a review request. [1]
There is also a discussion on the kde-community list going on about how to
better collaborate with distributions. Which imo ended up in "Distributions
can do bad things with optional and runtime dependencies and KDE Developers
have to deal with annoyed users" [2]

As the maintainer of Gpg4win I know the problem in the extreme. Gpg4win has
tons of users and if they experience a bug (or what they think is a bug) they
go the user facing Program Kleopatra and click on "Report a Bug". This ends up
in the KDE Bugtracker and the KDEPIM Group then get's reports about how batch
jobs for gnupg won't work on Windows Server 2012. (This is an extreme example
but the majority of bug-reports for Kleopatra are from Windows users)

This is because KXmlGui encourages users to report bugs to bugs.kde.org
itself. Shouldn't this be configurable and shouldn't we encourage distributions
to do some bug triage themself, e.g. link users to their tracker first? I think
we should. Afaik debian has the policy that you should report bugs to debian
and the debian maintainer can triage the bug and say "this is upstream" with a
(probably more qualified) upstream report. The bug is then fixed when a package
with the fix is available in debian. Great! (This is not idealistic, I see this
working with e.g. GnuPG)

I think this would help because:
- Developers would get more qualified bug reports
- Users would get responses from their Distributions, also telling them after
a fix when this will affect them, which is probably more interesting then "fixed
in master".
- bugs.kde.org gets a bit more manageable (hopefully at least for first time
reports)

And while this is work for distribution maintainers I think they have this
work anyway. In the Status Quo report bugs upstream and others with their
distribution and a package maintainer has to have a view on open bugs anyway.

I expect most package maintainers would be more comfortable in tracking bugs
affecting their distribution then generally monitoring _all_ bugs of the module
they are packaging through bugs.kde.org where there might be bugs that only
affect development versions they are not packaging.

This should also help Packagers to see issues. There was just a report in the
kdepim IRC channel (which triggered this mail) from a user that "Search does
not work" because he did not have the akonadi_indexing_agent installed.
While it is an issue for KDEPIM (and the kde bugtracker) that this case should
be handled more gracefully by informing the user about that fact. Until this
is the case a distribution should require the installation of said agent or
face Bug reports about "Search not working".

Regards,
Andre

1: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126895/
2: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2016q1/002223.html