More Plasma bug fix releases

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Oct 29 07:48:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Sandro Knauß <sknauss at kde.org> wrote:
> Moin,

Hi,

> Let's look at an example: we wanna push the patch releases to debian:
>
> On the one side we have unstable and testing. There the mantainer can upload
> most time a new version (if it is not frozen for the upcomming stable release
> ~ three moth before the release). And any new version inside unstable will end
> up automatically after 5 days without any release critical bug in the testing.
> So far so good -> the only bottleneck i see here of shipping new releases is
> manpower / automatisation power.
>
> But there is also debian stable (also kubuntu LTS,...), that most users are
> using. And debian stable is time based, and no updates are allowd by default.
> Only if a maintainer steps up and explains the release team, why a change is
> needed (closing these bugs etc) this is allowed to been pushed. That's where a
> patch tracker would help me to explain the release team: look we have these
> bugs at the packages (debian bug tracker) - upstream also took care about

This comment reads to me that bugs in anything but the Debian bug
tracker is invalid.
I certainly hope the Debian Release Team isn't that elitist - they
should certainly be accepting upstream bug trackers.
If they don't, perhaps they would like to be connected to the firehose
that is kde-bugs-dist at kde.org...

(Ignoring the fact they think they're more qualified than upstream to
review the suitability of patches - something I find quite arrogant).

> these and fixed them properly and additionally, they fixed these three other
> bugs too and they are marked as serious. Than I have better arguments to get
> this into debian stable. I think a patch tracker could help here to get an
> overview:  these distros also applied the patches and or had these questions
> about the patches. Maybe I also see, there okay, if I want to fix that bug
> properly than I also need to fix that other package...
>
> For me the patch tracker is nothing, because I do not trust you as mantainer
> of KWin. I see it more as meta informations about patches, to be able to use
> it as argument for pushing things more easily futher down to the user.
>
> Also one note: On debian side it is like that, every diff against debian
> stable is reviewed by the release team, so the diff must close serious bugs
> and should be as minimal as possible (but this should a stable fix anyhow :)
>
> Regards,
>
> sandro

Regards,
Ben