More Plasma bug fix releases

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 20:11:13 UTC 2015

Moin,

Let's look at an example: we wanna push the patch releases to debian:

On the one side we have unstable and testing. There the mantainer can upload
most time a new version (if it is not frozen for the upcomming stable release
~ three moth before the release). And any new version inside unstable will end
up automatically after 5 days without any release critical bug in the testing.
So far so good -> the only bottleneck i see here of shipping new releases is
manpower / automatisation power.

But there is also debian stable (also kubuntu LTS,...), that most users are
using. And debian stable is time based, and no updates are allowd by default.
Only if a maintainer steps up and explains the release team, why a change is
needed (closing these bugs etc) this is allowed to been pushed. That's where a
patch tracker would help me to explain the release team: look we have these
bugs at the packages (debian bug tracker) - upstream also took care about
these and fixed them properly and additionally, they fixed these three other
bugs too and they are marked as serious. Than I have better arguments to get
this into debian stable. I think a patch tracker could help here to get an
overview:  these distros also applied the patches and or had these questions
about the patches. Maybe I also see, there okay, if I want to fix that bug
properly than I also need to fix that other package...

For me the patch tracker is nothing, because I do not trust you as mantainer
of KWin. I see it more as meta informations about patches, to be able to use
it as argument for pushing things more easily futher down to the user.

Also one note: On debian side it is like that, every diff against debian
stable is reviewed by the release team, so the diff must close serious bugs
and should be as minimal as possible (but this should a stable fix anyhow :)

Regards,

sandro