More Plasma bug fix releases

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 12:51:55 UTC 2015

Hi distribution maintainers,

I was thinking about the problem of how we can get bug fixes quicker to our
user. With a three month release cycle a one-month bug fix cycle sounds too
long to me.

So I thought we should make bug fix releases faster and more often. In 5.4 we
already went for this partially by having the first bug fix earlier. I wanted
to know how much work this would mean for our distributions. If we ship out
way more bug fix releases, would you be able to work with it? Would it block
you? Would you have to skip releases? Or is it just pressing a button to run
automatic scripts which upload your packages?

What had I been thinking about? I was thinking about a Fibonacci based release
schedule. This gives us quick bug fix releases directly after the release with
slowly larger intervals. Of course it would mean tag and release happens on
same day.

So a hypothetical release schedule for Plasma 5.5 could look like:
* 2015-12-08: 5.5.0
* 2015-12-15: 5.5.1
* 2015-12-22: 5.5.2
* 2016-01-05: 5.5.3