This is not working [for me]

Ben cricketc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 02:05:30 UTC 2015

I'm just a KDE user, but my thoughts are below.

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 12:49:24PM +1300, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > I don't know how to fix it, I am not even sure what's wrong, but this was
>
> Hi Albert,
>
> > supposed to be a release team, and to me it seems that it's me being the bad
> > guy and everyone else just pushing in for their own agenda.

As a user, thanks for reminding people about the deadlines. I would
rather big changes (like apps switching to KF5) take their time, get
it right, not lose functionality, ... rather than rushing anything.

> I'd suggest stronger dependency controls - ie. explicitly saying that
> KDE Applications releases can only depend on released versions of
> Frameworks/Qt itself. Having a deadline of two weeks prior to freeze
> for new applicants to join might help as well. Miss the deadline, and
> you miss out on this cycle.

Again, I'm just a user, but this seems to make complete sense. If all
the apps can only depend on actual releases, there shouldn't be these
issues with something wanting to be released, with a dependency that's
not. Seems pretty easy for developers... anything that gets merged
into master (or whatever branch is going to be released) has to only
depend on released packages...

> And that doesn't mean rushing the Framework through review on that
> side either... Frameworks should be properly released - and have to
> meet the criteria, including depending only on other Frameworks (as
> permitted by their place in the tier structure).

Yes, please - don't rush things. Especially with no distinction
between feature and bugfix framework releases - these are supposed to
be well-tested, no-regression, safe upgrades, right? Seems like
rushing things is an easy recipe for bugs, regressions, ...

Thanks for reading, if anyone's interested in this user's perspective. :)

-Ben