Future frameworks releases

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jun 17 05:21:33 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:45:06 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 08:56 PM, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 09, 2015 10:08:06 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > > I'm sorry for the friction this causes right now, but in the long run I
> > > really  don't see how this makes life harder for everyone else.
> >
> > Here's an example from some recent packaging experiments. I wrote a
> > script to
> > update the packages, with frameworks, it was a very easy thing, I change
> > one
> > global version number, and I could check out a tag (same tag for every
> > framework) from git, then roll a tarball from those tags and build it.
> > Verifying that everything's OK was again a matter of checking the results
> > against one single version.
> >
> > This process would have been a LOT more work with different version
> > numbers, let alone some packages being excluded in certain releases,
> > because all of a sudden, I'd have to keep track of all this manually.
>
> Getting the latest tag on master is entirely possible without knowing
> the version number
> (git describe --abbrev=0 --tags). Verifying that everything is ok indeed
> would be
> a bit more involved. So yes, it can get a bit more complex, but not a
> whole lot really.

It's possible, but it's cumbersome, involves more server roundtrips and
parsing, and is a lot harder to verify manually.

In the current model, it's as simple as
version = "5.11" for the setup (in my example script)

and

ls -l|grep -v 5.11

to verify that everything went well.

That's a simple and almost fail-safe solution.

--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org