Future frameworks releases

Maximiliano Curia maxy at debian.org
Tue Jun 9 08:01:40 UTC 2015

On 09/06/15 09:35, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 08 June 2015 10:07:40 Maximiliano Curia wrote:
>> Since you ask about it, the tool used in Debian to fetch upstream releases
>> (uscan and watch files) expects to be able to fetch a list of files with a
>> single request (something like https://pypi.python.org/simple/isodate/), so
>> it better for us to have all the releases of the same package in the same
>> subdir.

>> The current layout of releases:
>> http://download.kde.org/(?:un)?stable/frameworks/([\d.]+)/kimap-([\d.]+\.tar
>> \.xz

>> Works only for the latest release, but is not able to fetch a particular
>> release, and it will require to convert this simple tool into a full pledged
>> crawler.

> Hmm this sounds like a bug or missing feature in the tool you're using.
> Surely it could be fixed/extended to be able to fetch stuff from a different
> directory for past releases.

How do you propose that such a tool should work?
Crawl the complete tree structure?

It would be quite expensive and time consuming.

Use the version in the directory as the version of the files in it?

The kimap example is just one of the releases that don't quite match the
version in the directory, kde4libs, kdepim, and till recently
extra-cmake-modules, have/had releases that don't match the version of the
directory.

>> So, it would be better for Debian if the releases are alternatively
>> distributed in a layout of the form:
>> http://download.kde.org/simple/kimap/kimap-([\d.]+)\.tar.xz

> This would make it very hard for other people who can currently just grab all
> of KF x.y from a single directory.

That's what I meant with alternatively, so, it would be nice if we have a
second "view" of the releases.

Happy hacking,
--
"A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do."
-- Greer's Law