Future frameworks releases

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 11 18:56:01 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, June 09, 2015 10:08:06 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> I'm sorry for the friction this causes right now, but in the long run I
> really  don't see how this makes life harder for everyone else.

Here's an example from some recent packaging experiments. I wrote a script to
update the packages, with frameworks, it was a very easy thing, I change one
global version number, and I could check out a tag (same tag for every
framework) from git, then roll a tarball from those tags and build it.
Verifying that everything's OK was again a matter of checking the results
against one single version.

This process would have been a LOT more work with different version numbers,
let alone some packages being excluded in certain releases, because all of a
sudden, I'd have to keep track of all this manually.

Let's not forget that we're talking about a few hundred deployers here, and
perhaps a lot more we don't know about, and then hopefully a whole lot more in
the future. The consistency across frameworks at this basic project management
level just cannot be underestimated, and that's why I think that the proposal
of different versions, and different modules per release of frameworks is a
/really bad idea/.

sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org