Future frameworks releases

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 9 08:23:40 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 09 June 2015 01:02:52 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Boost is essentially equivalent to KF5:
>
>    - lots of libraries
>    - some depend on others, some don't
>    - some libraries get updated almost every release, others are hardly
>    updated
>
> Boost includes all libraries (except if they are retired entirely) and bump
> version for all libraries at the same time.
>
> Is KF5 really that different? that special?
>
> IMHO KF5 should follow the same rules Boost has been using for years. They
> seem to work :-?

>From the boost FAQ:
"How can the Boost libraries be used successfully for important projects?

Many of the Boost libraries are actively maintained and improved, so backward
compatibility with prior version isn't always possible. Deal with this by
freezing the version of the Boost libraries used by your project. Only upgrade
at points in your project's life cycle where a bit of change will not cause
problems. Individual bug fixes can always be obtained from the boost
repository."

While freezing the version may work for the typical low-level utilities boost
provides, I don't think it's a good idea at all for what is essentially a
collection of largely unrelated libraries. Library maintainers can no longer
express what has changed, dependencies get bumped without control, and if you
want to develop your application in a controlled fashion (which means bumping
the required library only if actually necessary, assuming a non idea
testcoverage scenario), you esentially have to fork every framework you're
using.

I'm exaggerating a bit to make my point ;-)

But no, I don't think boost is the same as frameworks.

Cheers,
Christian