Request to make Wayland hard build dependency in KWin starting with Plasma 5.5

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 16 13:28:01 UTC 2015

Am 2015-07-16 15:22, schrieb Eric Hameleers:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 16 July 2015 02:54:17 Eric Hameleers wrote:
>>> An xkbcommon package would have to be added to my repository  as a
>>> new
>>> dependency but that is not an issue for me.
>>> So, no objections from me for the hard build requirements.
>>
>> A small note on xkbcommon: Qt/xcb also requires it. Please make sure
>> that Qt
>> is built with a system xkbcommon, otherwise it picks the one bundled
>> in 3rd-
>> party and that has resulted in crashes in KWin in the past if KWin is
>> build
>> with a system xkbcommon.
>
> My Qt5 so far has been built using the 3rdparty source which is part
> of the qt tarball. Once I add xkbcommon as a system package I will
> have to recompile Qt5, is what you are telling?

yes

> Is this a Qt5 bug that has not been addressed yet?

I'm not sure whether it counts as a bug (I have not reported one about
it). It would certainly be nice if Qt would tell us in the build system
that it pulled it in from 3rd-party so that we can error out in CMake.
Apart from that there is probably not much to do. I always thought that
it doesn't matter as distros don't like 3rd-party and will just build Qt
against the system library ;-)

Cheers
Martin