KDE Telepathy has an unreleased dependency

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 17:33:41 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 25 February 2015 15:38:19 Aleix Pol wrote:
> At the moment KPeople is an optional dependency, there's still the
> possibility to use it without KPeople.

I guess you mean s/KPeople/Baloo/g here.

The problem is: Baloo depends on a few frameworks,
and now we would have KPeople depending on Baloo.
So it wouldn't be possible to build all of frameworks together, one would need
to interject Baloo in the middle of it, in order to be able to build "with all
options" i.e. with this optional dependency.

The reason "it's optional so it doesn't matter" means you might as well delete
the code, since it becomes impractical to build it anyway.
More seriously I would suggest moving the plugin to Baloo maybe, if it makes
sense for it to depend on KPeople, or moving it in workspace maybe (but then
it's not available in other workspaces). Or to this new "product" (set of
modules) that I think we should have to host drkonqi, kio-extras etc., i.e.
the set of runtime deps common to workspace and applications. This issue keeps
popping up.

If you want a short term solution, I'd say the plugin should stay in
playground somewhere.
I don't like the optional dependency thing because it will still show up in
dependency diagrams, making a mess with baloo being in the middle of
frameworks while it was decided that it's not.

> This shouldn't be a show-stopper, even less for the Beta versions.

KF 5.x isn't a beta.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5