Packaging of Wayland session

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Dec 9 09:23:41 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:54:12 AM CET Eric Hameleers wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > Hi KDE distro packagers,
> >
> > as you probably are aware Plasma 5.5 is the first release shipping a
> > Wayland session file. In the current state the session is not much usable
> > as can be seen in the known issues section.
> >
> > Given that I expect that distributions move the relevant files
> > * startplasmacompositor
> > * startplasma
> > * plasmawayland.desktop
> >
> > into a dedicated package (plasma-desktop-wayland-session) and do not
> > install it by default! We don't want users to select the Wayland session
> > by accident and run into a broken system.
> >
> > Also please see https://community.kde.org/KWin/Packaging for advice on how
> > to package the Wayland session elements.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Martin Gräßlin
>
> Well... Slackware does not create sub-packages, that does not fit in
> with our philosophy.
> I expect that the sources are configured to *not* enable compiling
> the session components by default?

nothing gets compiled. Three files get configured and installed. And of course
that is not bound to a config option. That would in my opinion be pointless.
To me this is something to solve by proper packaging on distro level. Sorry
that this leaves Slackware in a strange state. I didn't know there are distros
which do not split packages.

> Not having checked out Plasma 5.5 yet, I guess I will eventually find
> out whether I need to explicitly disable building it

building cannot be disabled. Also Wayland is now a hard dependency in KWin (as
communicated a few months ago).

> , or else
> delete the offending files from the package afterwards. I do not want
> to ship stuff with Plasma 5.5 that is really just a tech preview and
> gives the user the wrong impression.

deleting the files on the other hand means that your users cannot test and
cannot provide feedback. My suggestion would be to check whether you are
affected at all - after all it only matters if your DM supports Wayland
session files. And in worst case just not shipping the wayland session file,
so that users can still manually run the startplasmacompositor.

Cheers
Martin