kopete and kdepimlibs in apps 15.08

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:25:56 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 18 August 2015 13:06:20 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:40:21 PM CEST Pali Rohár wrote:

> > > kdepimlibs-mime.xml could be renamed to x-vnd.kde.contactgroup.xml in KF5,
> > > because that's what it contains. For the socialutil we could have x-
> > > vnd.akonadi5.socialfeeditem.xml in KF5 version... I'll fix that ASAP.
> >
> > Ok, then conflicting files are solved.
> >
> > > However that's not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that you
> > > can
> > > only compile kdepimlibs4 against Akonadi <= 1.13, which is not
> > > co-installable with the version of Akonadi required by kdepimlibs5. The
> > > one thing that kdepimlibs4 needs from Akonadi is
> > > libakonadiprotocolinternals.so (that's what kdepimlibs4 link against). If
> > > Kopete does not need to actually access KDE PIM data stored in Akonadi,
> > > then the Akonadi(qt4) server or any other binary are not needed. We can
> > > publish some sort of "manual" for distributions how to deal with this,
> > > but I'm afraid distros will have to figure out the packaging magic to
> > > handle that on their own.
> >
> > Kopete does not depend nor does not use Akonadi. It uses old KABC
> > resources. So it does not need Akonadi client or server.
> >
> > But I'm not happy with such dependency problems. Why there are those
> > problems? I do not understand these decisions. Nobody was thinking about
> > problems with coexistence of older application? Or everybody did not
> > care about that before KF5 relase? Is KDE again going to have with KF5
> > same fuck-up as with first KDE4 version?
>
> We somewhat expected that all kdepimlibs4 users have only optional deps or
> that they will switch to KF5 as well. Yes, we screwed up (again).

To prevent any other such situation, what about asking maintainers (or
on mailing list) of all kde apps? I'm sure if somebody asked me or on
kopete-devel year (or two!) ago if kdepimlibs is really required to
build kopete, answer will be there!

> > Writing manual for distribution is bad idea. It means that software
> > collection (KDE4, KF5) is broken by design.
> >
> > So why kdepimlibs4 cannot be compiled with same version of akonadi as
> > kdepimlibs5? I think this is biggest problem which causing this, right?
>
> There is this tiny library called libakonadiprotocolinternals.so which Akonadi
> server and kdepimlibs share. It contains some utility classes and macros
> related to the communication protocol. The protocol has changed substantially
> in Qt5-based Akonadi, thus the library API is no longer compatible with the
> old one. However the library is called libKF5AkonadiPrivate.so in Akonadi 5,
> so it's possible to co-install those two libraries. It's not possible to
> however co-install the rest of Akonadi (akonadiserver, akonadictl, ....).
>
> With my packager hat on, we will probably end up doing something like this in
> Fedora:
>
> akonadi-server-15.08 (whatever is in akonadi-15.08 tarball)
> akonadi-server-devel-15.08 (headers for ^^)
> akonadi-15.08 (whatever is kdepimlibs, Requires: akonadi-server)
> akonadi-devel-15.08 (headers for ^^)
>
> akonadi-server-compat-libs-1.13 (libakonadiprotocolinternals.so from
> 	akonadi-1.13 tarball)
> akonadi-server-compat-libs-devel-1.13 (headers for ^^)
> akonadi-server-compat-1.13 (the rest of akonadi-1.13 tarball, Requires:
> 	akonadi-server-compat-libs, Conflicts: akonadi-server >= 15.08)
> kdepimlibs-4.14 (Requires: akonadi-server-compat-libs-devel = 1.13)

Good. But there is problem. KDE tarball packages have same name for
akonadi-server and akonadi-server-compat.

Renaming akonadi-server (v 1.13) to akonadi-server-compat is insane. If
you are introducing such new incompatibility, why not to rename KDE
tarball package e.g. yo akonadi-server2 or akonadi-server-qt5 (or any
other different name)? Something which also downstream distribution
understand that those are two different software packages, could be
installed at same time and new version is *not* drop-in-replacement for
old one.

Or if you are needed to distribute akonadi-server 15.08 version in KDE
tarball akonadi-server, cannot you add into it also old 1.13 compat
version? This will really help distribution to pack correct packages and
doing dependency magic.

(PS: I'm not akonadi developer, user or so... I just proposing general
solutions for such software problems.)

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com