Request to make Wayland hard build dependency in KWin starting with Plasma 5.5

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Aug 12 09:44:40 UTC 2015

On Monday, August 10, 2015 02:17:35 PM Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 09:49:45 AM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi KDE distro packagers,
> >
> > we are currently (Plasma 5.4) in the awkward situation that
> > plasma-workspace has a hard Wayland dependency and KWin has only an
> > optional build
> > dependency. After the release of Plasma 5.4 I want to change this and turn
> > some optional build dependencies into hard dependencies in KWin.
>
> Given the non-negative replies to this thread I'm going ahead and change
> master to require Wayland shortly.

I just pushed the changes. There are a few changes to the original outline:
* libdrm and gbm are kept optional given that the drm backend depends on udev
which is to my knowledge not available on non-Linux. Linux distros: please
make sure you build with drm and gbm! Otherwise Wayland support is broken!
* X11_XCB is now a requirement for building the X11 backend. It's still
optional but without it you won't get the X11 backend. Previous you got the
backend, but had broken EGL support.

Cheers
Martin