Plasma 5.1 beta tars

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Sep 27 05:30:39 UTC 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 19:46:27 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Divendres, 26 de setembre de 2014, a les 19:33:47, Martin Gräßlin va
>
> escriure:
> > On Friday 26 September 2014 19:26:20 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Divendres, 26 de setembre de 2014, a les 11:50:16, Jonathan Riddell
> > > va
> > >
> > > escriure:

> > > So we have released unbuildable tars? Doesn't seem like the bests of the
> > > ideas.
> >
> > I think there was a typo: KF5 5.3 will be released before the final Plasma
> > 5.1, not 2.
>
> Still, at the moment, we have put out some tarballs that are uncompilable.
>
> What's the point?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> P.S: Sure i know I can compile them using some git version somewhere, but
> that's not how one is supposed to do releases.

ok, I see the problem. As it was me who introduced the hard dependency on new
5.3 API, let me say sorry for that. I was not aware that it will create
problems. Given that the release schedule was prepared in a way that we can
depend on KF5.3 I didn't expect that depending on 5.3 would create packaging
problems. I could easily revert the commits, but it would only fix half of the
problem as also code in plasma depends on plasma-framework - even if it
doesn't use new API.

For the next release cycle we should be aware of that problem and ensure that
we do not depend on unreleased frameworks.

Cheers
Martin