Fwd: kdeedu-data

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Oct 27 12:28:16 UTC 2014

On 10/26/2014 05:18 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Ugh, I saw that on fedora recently. Why do distros do that? I guess
> those same distros also patch KStandardDirs to look for files there ?
> Or set KDEHOME or something so it will look there?

The "why" was because that dir was also used by kde3, and kde4
introduced various conflicts.  off the top of my head (it's been
awhile), there were at least 2... kate and khtml

As to how it's implemented, on fedora at least, we build all kde4
packages with a standard set of build flags, one of which is:
-DDATA_INSTALL_DIR:PATH=/usr/share/kde4/apps
I believe other distros follow a similar convention here, and probably
for similar reason(s).

-- Rex