Fwd: kdeedu-data

Eric Hameleers alien at slackware.com
Thu Oct 23 14:48:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> Hey packagers,
>
> A quick heads up about kdeedu-data strangeness.
>
> The upcoming KDE Applications 14.12 release will have some
> applications based on kdelibs4 and others based on kf5. Because some
> applications that use libkdeedu/libkeduvocdocument are going to be
> still based on kdelibs4 while others have already been ported to qt5
> and kf5 there will be both libkdeedu and libkeduvocdocument tarballs
> released. Because both used to contain a handful of kvtml files, we
> moved them out into kdeedu-data which both libkdeedu and
> libkeduvocdocument should depend on (or at least khangman(kdelibs4)
> and kanagram(libkeduvocdocument) should depend on in order to run.
>
> Now kdeedu-data uses ecm instructions to build like other kf5 based
> applications. Is that going to be a problem to make both khangman and
> kanagram run time depend on these packages, while kdeedu-data at build
> time requires ecm to build?
>
> I'm open to other solutions, but this is the best we could come up
> with at this time.
>
> thanks,
> Jeremy

Please explain to me why applications in the 4.14.12 release should
depend on kf5? The kf5 dependencies must be left out of the tarball
for the KDE SC 4.14 releases.

And if that is impossible for you, then consider this alternative.

Anything depending on kf5 or ecm or qt5 will have to be optional when
compiling the Applications 4.14.12 tarball. Additionally, no
build-time dependency should be enforced on anything that relates to
kf5.

Eric
--
Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>