Fwd: Plasma Framework problems

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 19:31:10 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 10 October 2014 16:24:52 David Edmundson wrote:
> > Packagers,
> >
> > It seems Plasma 5.0 does NOT run smoothly against Plasma Framework 5.3.
> >
> > It would be easiest if distros hold off shipping frameworks 5.3 until
> > Plasma 5.1 when Plasma5.1 is released.
> >
> > Clearly this is a screw-up and we need to come up with some better
> policies
> > when we plan Plasma 5.2
> >
> > Sorry about this.
>
> Verbose++ ? What's the actual problem?
>
> This mail is as informative as a bug report that says "it doesn't work !!!"
> :-)

"It doesn't work!!!" was pretty much all I have. A G+ post [1] and a flurry
of incoming people on IRC complaining of a black screen on login.

Why it was broken didn't really matter as I just wanted to stop distros
rolling 5.3 into their stable repos ASAP.

Apparently users get:
Warning: corona package invalid
Invalid home screen package

I /believe/ it's a3932843386a29faa3c62bf2934a173a3781d56c [2] in
plasma-framework that's causing the issue. There was a plasma package
structure that was hardcoded, this was moved into a plugin in Plasma
Workspaces 5.1.

I'm currently rebuilding this combo of packages into a clean prefix so I
can prove it is this.

I'll report back when I've confirmed this and then we can work out how we
proceed.

David

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PaulHinchbergerIII/posts/PCtMbdJAkag
[2] https://gerrit.vesnicky.cesnet.cz/r/#/c/37/