Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed May 21 21:29:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 22:40:07 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 16:12:50 Kevin Ottens wrote:

> > > Even with a single stable branch owner?
> >
> > Yes, that's the exact option we thought about, but you need someone
> > willing
> > to do the job.
>
> shouldn't in theory each library in frameworks have a maintainer, who is
> responsible for that library, and wouldn't this be the obvious person who
> maintains also the stable branch of the library ?

Sort of (and I would volunteer to do this for the one module I maintain). But
not every frameworks module has an assigned volunteer, and not all volunteers
would necessarily also want to maintain a separate stable branch.

But beyond that, there's also the possible issue that all of these stable
branches when integrated together would still have regressions. You'd really
still want to have an "integration manager" to volunteer to ensure the units
of Frameworks still work well when combined.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne