Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 21 09:28:45 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:17:15 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> The aim is the following in my books:

Thanks :)

> Obviously the difficult point as certainty goes is the last one, as it is
> highly dependent on the amount of contributions which mainly come from
> volunteers and on the amount of time available from reviewers.

One needs to free themselves of the idea that just because a branch is ready
that it must be merged immediately. Let branches queue up if they come too
fast. An empty queue is no problem, and a full queue merely asks for patience.
With monthly releases, the wait will never be long and almost certainly less
than the current 6 month wait time for a regular release.

Reflecting on the last 10 years of kdelibs development, I do find it hard to
imagine that a given framework will have more than 5 API additions for any
number of consecutive months. Frameworks going through that kind of churn are
usually new and not really ready for strong quality commitments. IOW, I doubt
it will become an issue in practice.

> This type of branch got actually
> discussed before making the initial proposal, it's not that we don't like
> the idea at all, it's that we don't feel confident to make it work at that
> point in time.

Even with a single stable branch owner?

I completely agree that the "everyone backports" does not work for something
like Frameworks (for various reasons), and that is not what I was suggesting.

--
Aaron J. Seigo